There are five categories of membership within the Automotive Safety Council:
- Major Systems Supplier: limited to those companies selling four (4) or more of the defined product lines to a Vehicle Manufacturer or Tier I supplier
- System Supplier: limited to those companies selling one to three (1-3) of the defined product lines (provided on request) to a Vehicle Manufacturer or Tier 1 supplier
- Components Supplier: those companies selling auto safety-related components or equipment to a Vehicle Manufacturer, Tier 1 or Tier 2 supplier; or manufactures related products
- Materials Supplier: those companies selling raw or processed materials involved in auto safety
- Sponsoring Member: any company or organization associated with the advancement of auto safety but does not directly provide auto safety products, materials or equipment.
All major systems and systems suppliers are represented on the Council Board of Directors and all components and materials suppliers are eligible to serve on the Board. All members may be represented on all standing committees, with the right to vote on all issues. Sponsoring members, while entitled to all rights and privileges of membership, may serve on all committees in an advisory capacity only, and may not vote.
All applications for Council membership are subject to written approval by the Board of Directors.